MEDIA RELEASE 19 December 2013
How Rural Businesses Can Access Internet at twice the speed & half the ongoing Cost
Rural properties can have better and more reliable internet connections due to improvements in non-cabled technologies, it just needs the Telcos to be more supportive.
Remote Networking and Data Connection expert Marcus Dowling said he is amazed how rural properties are still being pushed to use the old copper lines or saturated satellite for internet and phone services when there are much better options available now.
“We, being the telecommunications industry, have had the abilityfor many years to deliver more reliable and faster telecommunication services for rural properties,” said Mr Dowling.
“It is appalling that so much money is waisted in attempting to maintain copper cables in the ground or suspended on poles that was installed over 50 years ago when there are better options now available,” he said.
“Copper cables might work well for those within 3km of the exchange, though at 20km, they are no good for the modern communication needs.”
“Many rural people have been put onto a satellite services by the Telcos, though due to over subscription of these services, the capacity is saturated and becomes unreliable.”
“An example of this is attempts to do internet banking timing out, so not being able to reliably use banking, if you were buying something online, you might miss the confirmation or not be able to complete the purchase due to this.”
“Though it doesn’t need to be that way.”
“The burden on the satellite services can be eased by moving services over to cellular wireless.”
Mr Dowling said people with poor rural internet could benefit from doing the following:
• Approach your Telco and ask for a better service for less money: A 1 Gigabyte Satellite service cost about $100 a month, a 8 Gigabyte Cellular service costs about $80. A Satellite service has a speed limit of about 1Mb/s download, Cellular about 2Mb/s download, Professional Satellite hardware & installation costs are on par to professional cellular hardware and installation cost.
• Cellular Systems are easier to maintain and upgrade once installed: A properly installed cellular data service is normally easier to maintain when something goes wrong and to upgrade in the future.
• Make sure that there are quality warranty and replacement programs: You want to look for something more than just a manufactures warranty, look for an ongoing support program that will help you out with replacements and real support if there should be challenges, ensure that they help put into simple English what affects your connection so you can optimise the best use out of it.
• Negotiate with your ISP to keep your existing email address: When you change to a cellular service, you are possibly going to be going to a new account or new ISP, arrange to have access maintained to your email to help with staying in touch.
• Sign up and use an online email provider independent of your ISP: Online Email providers such as Google, Microsoft & Yahoo allow you to safely store your email away from your computer, it also gives you the ability to then use multiple devices to access your emails with and if you should ever move or change ISPs, your emails will still be at the same address not the ISPs.
Mr Dowling said “NBN has a lot to offer the Australian Community in the long term, though there are many viable solutions available now that can get people online and communicating much more quickly”.
Rural Farmer, Peter, from Glen Innes stated “Now that we’re looking back from where we were, to where we are now, it is just phenomenal”
Business owners who wanted more detail on how to get services that will be able to be leverage to best possible uptime using wireless technologies should contact Rising Connection to discuss their requirements. Premium solutions are available that offer the abilities to give you better and scalable services.
About Marcus Dowling: With a 20 year career in technology integration, Broadcast Engineer, networking and business owner, Mr Dowling is well placed in Australia as an expert with Wireless Technology.
High resolution images and interviews available on request
The team at Rising Connection went to amazing lengths to help understand the challenges and find a solution for us to use, we look forward to an ongoing relationship as we grow
Rising connection came in with an end to end solution, giving us the time and support we needed, the solution has given us the commercial confidence to know we are equipped to deliver the requirements of our customers on time